River Runoff Impact on the Density Vertical Stratification of the Eastern Arctic Chukchi and Beaufort Seas
A. A. Bukatov, E. A. Pavlenko✉, N. M. Solovei
Marine Hydrophysical Institute of RAS, Sevastopol, Russian Federation
✉ e-mail: email@example.com
Purpose. The aim of the study is to analyze the river runoff impact on density stratification in the Chukchi and Beaufort seas, and to identify the areas where the response to seasonal fluctuations in the river runoff volumes is the most pronounced.
Methods and Results. Based on the ECMWF ORAP5 reanalysis data on the monthly mean values of temperature and salinity for May – September of each year, the water density in the Chukchi and Beaufort seas was calculated. To study the river runoff impact on the density stratification of sea water, applied were the calculated maximum monthly average values of the Väisälä – Brunt frequency over depth at each grid node, and the monthly average water discharges in the closing gates of the Kolyma, Yukon and Mackenzie rivers for the period 1979–2013. The results of statistical analysis showed that density stratification of the Chukchi and Beaufort seas was most strongly affected by the Mackenzie and Yukon river runoffs for a previous month and also by the Kolyma river runoff for 3 and 6 previous months.
Conclusions. The impact of the Mackenzie runoff is found to be most pronounced from July to September. The areas of statistically significant correlation coefficients between the buoyancy frequency and the runoff volumes for the previous month are in the southeastern and central parts of the Beaufort Sea. The areas where the impact of the Yukon runoff is pronounced are in the Bering Strait area, in the northern region of the Chukchi Sea, and on the western periphery of the Beaufort gyre. The Kolyma runoff impact on the water density stratification is manifested near the western coast of the Chukchi Sea, in the Bering Strait area, the Kotzebue Bay, and on the southwestern periphery of the Beaufort gyre.
Chukchi Sea, Beaufort Sea, water density stratification, buoyancy frequency, river runoff, rivers Mackenzie, Yukon and Kolyma
The investigation was carried out within the framework of the state assignment on theme FNNN-2021-0004.
Original russian text
Original Russian Text © A. A. Bukatov, E. A. Pavlenko, N. M. Solovei, 2023, published in MORSKOY GIDROFIZICHESKIY ZHURNAL, Vol. 39, Iss. 4 (2023)
Bukatov, A.A., Pavlenko, E.A. and Solovei, N.M., 2023. River Runoff Impact on the Density Vertical Stratification of the Eastern Arctic Chukchi and Beaufort Seas. Physical Oceanography, 30(4), pp. 428-437.
- Platov, G.A., 2017. Formation of the Fresh Water Anomaly in the Area of the Beaufort Gyre in the Arctic Ocean based on the Results of Numerical Simulations. Interekspo GEO-Sibir, 4(1), pp. 74-77 (in Russian).
- Shiklomanov, I.A. and Shiklomanov, A.I., 2003. Сlimatic Change and the Dynamics of River Runoff into the Arctic Ocean. Water Resources, 30(6), pp. 593-601. doi:10.1023/B:WARE.0000007584.73692.ca
- Carmack, E.C., Yamamoto-Kawai, M., Haine, T.W.N., Bacon, S., Bluhm, B.A., Lique, C., Melling, H., Polyakov, I.V., Straneo, F. [et. al.], 2016. Freshwater and Its Role in the Arctic Marine System: Sources, Disposition, Storage, Export, and Physical and Biogeochemical Consequences in the Arctic and Global Oceans. Journal of Geophysical Research: Biogeosciences, 121(3), pp. 675-717. doi:10.1002/2015JG003140
- Steele, M. and Boyd, T., 1998. Retreat of the Cold Halocline Layer in the Arctic Ocean. Journal of Geophysical Research: Oceans, 103(C5), pp. 10419-10435. doi:10.1029/98JC00580
- Flint, M.V., Poyarkov, S.G. and Rimsky-Korsakov, N.A., 2016. Ecosystems of the Russian Arctic-2015 (63rd Cruise of the Research Vessel Akademik Mstislav Keldysh). Oceanology, 56(3), pp. 459-461. doi:10.1134/S0001437016030061
- Randelhoff, A., Holding, J., Janout, M., Sejr, M.K., Babin, M., Tremblay, J.É. and Alkire, M.B., 2020. Pan-Arctic Ocean Primary Production Constrained by Turbulent Nitrate Fluxes. Frontiers in Marine Science, 7, 150. doi:10.3389/fmars.2020.00150
- Bukatov, A.A., Pavlenko, E.A. and Solovei, N.M., 2019. Regional Features of the Buoyancy Frequency Distribution in the Laptev and East Siberian Seas. Physical Oceanography, 26(5), pp. 387-396. doi:10.22449/1573-160X-2019-5-387-396
- Bukatov, A.A., Pavlenko, E.A. and Solovei, N.M., 2021. Estimation of Waters Vertical Structure in the Barents and Kara Seas. In: T. Chaplina, ed., 2021. Processes in GeoMedia - Volume II. Cham: Springer, pp. 41-53. doi:10.1007/978-3-030-53521-6_7
- Bukatov, A.A., Pavlenko, E.A. and Solovey, N.M., 2021. Influence of Continental Runoff on the Density Stratification of the Laptev and East Siberian Seas. Processes in GeoMedia, (2), pp. 1093-1100 (in Russian).
- Bukatov, A.A., Pavlenko, E.A. and Solovey, N.M., 2020. Influence of the Continental Runoff on the Density Stratification of the Barents and Kara Seas. Processes in GeoMedia, (3), pp. 764-771 (in Russian).
- Zuo, H., Balmaseda, M.A. and Mogensen, K., 2017. The New Eddy-Permitting ORAP5 Ocean Reanalysis: Description, Evaluation and Uncertainties in Climate Signals. Climate Dynamics, 49, pp. 791-811. doi:10.1007/s00382-015-2675-1
- Kang, Y., Pan, D., Bai, Y., He, X., Chen, X., Chen, C.-T.A. and Wang, D., 2013. Areas of the Global Major River Plumes. Acta Oceanologica Sinica, 32(1), pp. 79-88. doi:10.1007/s13131-013-0269-5
- Morison, J., Kwok, R., Peralta-Ferriz, C., Alkire, M., Rigor, I., Andersen, R. and Steele, M., 2012. Changing Arctic Ocean Freshwater Pathways. Nature, 481, pp. 66-70. doi:10.1038/nature10705
- Bukatov, A.Е. and Pavlenko, E.A., 2017. The Spatial and Temporal Variability of Distribution of the Buoyancy Frequency in the Chukchi Sea. Processes in GeoMedia, (3), pp. 573-579 (in Russian).
- Serreze, M.C., Barrett, A.P., Slater, A.G., Woodgate, R.A., Aagaard, K., Lammers, R.B., Steele, M., Moritz, R., Meredith, M. [et. al.], 2006. The Large-Scale Freshwater Cycle of the Arctic. Journal of Geophysical Research: Oceans, 111(C11). C11010. doi:10.1029/2005JC003424
- Coachman, L.K., Aagaard, K.A. and Tripp, R.B., 1976. Bering Strait: The Regional Physical Oceanography. Seattle, Washington: University of Washington Press, 172 p.
- Proshutinsky, A.Y. and Johnson, M.A., 1997. Two Circulation Regimes of the Wind-Driven Arctic Ocean. Journal of Geophysical Research: Oceans, 102(C6), pp. 12493-12514. doi:10.1029/97JC00738