Features of the Wave Processes in the South Kuril Strait Based on Observational Data
D. P. Kovalev, P. D. Kovalev✉
Institute of Marine Geology and Geophysics, Far Eastern Branch of Russian Academy of Sciences, Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk, Russian Federation
✉ e-mail: email@example.com
Purpose. The work is purposed at studying the waves in the South Kuril Strait within the period ranges from the wind waves to the tidal ones using the field observations data, and also at explaining the observed wave processes using the existing theories and models.
Methods and Results. The results of the analyzed long-term (up to 12 months) time series of observations of waves and water temperature performed with the 1 s discreteness by the bottom autonomous wave recorders ARW-K14 at three points in the South Kuril Strait coastal zone are considered. To detect wave processes, the spectral analysis was applied. It showed the presence of significant maxima in the spectral densities that resulted in revealing the diurnal and semidiurnal tidal waves, and the time series of seawater temperature fluctuations made it possible to find out the waves with a period of the tidal harmonic K1. The seiche periods were calculated by the formula for a semi- open water area, and it showed the possibility of generating eigen oscillations of sea level in the South Kuril Strait with a period 5.0 hours, which was close to the period 4.8 hours derived from the observational data. It was revealed that the seiches amplitude are increased after the ebb reached its minimum level and further as the level grew. This effect (described by D. K. Chapman and G. S. Giese in their articles) is explained using the dynamic mechanism of generating the coastal seiches by deep-sea internal waves induced by a barotropic tide.
Conclusions. It is shown that both seiches and tidal harmonics can contribute energy to the wave process with a period 4.8 hours. The level fluctuations with the periods varying from 0.4 to 3 hours do not depend on tidal harmonics and, possibly, they are the seiches or the edge waves. The results of a spectral analysis of three time series permitted to find out that seiches in the South Kuril Strait were of low energy and there were no conditions for their significant resonant amplification. It was shown that a part of the energy of tidal waves was transferred to the seiche oscillations in the Krabovaya and Malokurilskaya bays. Having being analyzed, the sea level fluctuations in the range of infragravity waves showed the possibility of the South Kuril Bay fluctuations to transform to the chaotic ones, which had been confirmed by modeling the behavior of the dynamic system – the water mass of the bay excited by the incoming swell waves.
seiches, swell, infragravity waves, tidal waves, chaotic vibrations, sea level oscillations, field observations, spectral analysis
The study wascarried out within the framework of state assignment of the Institute of Marine Geology and Geophysics, FEB of RAS (FWWM-2021-0002) with partial funding by the grant of the President of Russian Federation for state support of the leading scientific schools of RF No. НШ-70.2022.1.5.
Original russian text
Original Russian Text © D. P. Kovalev, P. D. Kovalev, 2023, published in MORSKOY GIDROFIZICHESKIY ZHURNAL, Vol. 39, Iss. 4 (2023)
Kovalev, D.P. and Kovalev, P.D., 2023. Features of the Wave Processes in the South Kuril Strait Based on Observational Data. Physical Oceanography, 30(4), pp. 438-453.
- Kovalev, P.D., Shevchenko, G.V. and Kovalev, D.P., 2005. [Study of Long-Wave Motions in the Southern Part of the Kuril Chain]. In: V. N. Khramushin, ed., 2005. Marine Researches and Technique of Ocean Studies. Vladivostok: FEB RAS. Iss. 1, pp. 69-81 (in Russian).
- Kovalev, P.D., Shevchenko, G.V. and Kovalev, D.P., 2005. Investigation of the Sea Level Fluctuations in the Yuzhno-Kurilskaya Bay in 2005. In: OSCORA, 2005. Proceedings of the 21st International Symposium on Okhotsk Sea & Sea Ice: Mombetsu, Hokkaido, Japan, 19-24 February 2006. Mombetsu, Hokkaido, Japan: OSCORA, pp. 225-231.
- Giese, G.S., Chapman, D.C., Black, P.G. and Fornshell, J.A., 1990. Causation of Large- Amplitude Coastal Seiches on the Caribbean Coast of Puerto Rico. Journal of Physical Oceanography, 20(9), pp. 1449-1458. https://doi.org/10.1175/1520-0485(1990)020%3C1449:COLACS%3E2.0.CO;2
- Plekhanov, Ph.A. and Kovalev, D.P., 2016. The Complex Program of Processing and Analysis of Time-Series Data of Sea Level on the Basis of Author’s Algorithms. Geoinformatika, (1), pp. 44-53 (in Russian).
- Parker, B.B., 2007. Tidal Analysis and Prediction. NOAA Special Publication NOS CO- OPS 3. Silver Spring, Maryland: NOAA, 378 p.
- Wilson, B.W., 1972. Seiches. Advances in Hydroscience, vol. 8. Elsevier, pp. 1-94. https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-12-021808-0.50006-1
- Korgen, B.J., 1995. Seiches. American Scientist, 83(4), pp. 330-341.
- De Jong, M., 2004. Origin and Prediction of Seiches in Rotterdam Harbor Basins. The Netherlands: Partners Ipskamp Beheer B.V., 119 p.
- Rabinovich, A.B., 2009. Seiches and Harbor Oscillations. In: Y. C. Kim, ed., 2009. Handbook of Coastal and Ocean Engineering. Singapore: World Scientific Publishing Company, pp. 193-236. https://doi.org/10.1142/9789812819307_0009
- Defant, A., 1960. Physical Oceanography. Oxford: Pergamon Press. Vol. 2, 598 p.
- Rabinovich, A.B. and Monserrat, S., 1996. Meteorological Tsunamis near the Balearic and Kuril Islands: Descriptive and Statistical Analysis. Natural Hazards, 13(1), pp. 55-90. doi:10.1007/BF00156506
- Monserrat, S., Vilibić, I. and Rabinovich, A.B., 2006. Meteotsunamis: Atmospherically Induced Destructive Ocean Waves in the Tsunami Frequency Band. Natural Hazards and Earth System Sciences, 6(6), pp. 1035-1051. doi:10.5194/nhess-6-1035-2006
- Hibiya, T. and Kajiura, K., 1982. Origin of the Abiki Phenomenon (a Kind of Seiche) in Nagasaki Bay. Journal of the Oceanographical Society of Japan, 38(3), pp. 172-182. doi:10.1007/BF02110288
- De Jong, M.P.C., Holthuijsen, L.H. and Battjes, J.A., 2003. Generation of Seiches by Cold Fronts over the Southern North Sea. Journal of Geophysical Research: Oceans, 108(C4), 3117. doi:10.1029/2002JC001422
- Giese, G.S. and Chapman, D.C., 1993. Coastal seiches. Oceanus, 36(1), pp. 38-46.
- Rabinovich, A.B., 1993. [Long Gravity Waves in the Ocean: Trapping, Resonance, Radiation]. Leningrad: Gidrometeoizdat, 324 p. (in Russian).
- Rabinovich, A.B. and Levyant, A.S., 1992. Influence of Seiche Oscillations on the Formation of the Long-Wave Spectrum near the Coast of the Southern Kuriles. Oceanology, 32(1), pp. 17-23 (in Russian).
- Sudolsky, A.S., 1991. [Dynamic Phenomena in Reservoirs]. Leningrad: Gidrometeoizdat, 262 p. (in Russian).
- Maramzin, V.Ya., 1985. Calculations of Seiche Oscillations by the Method of Finite Elements in a Basin of Arbitrary Form. In: DVNTS Akad. Nauk SSSR, 1985. Theoretical and Experimental Investigations of Long-Wave Processes. Vladivostok: DVNTS Akad. Nauk SSSR, pp. 104-114 (in Russian).
- Nakano, M. and Unoki, S., 1962. On the Seiches (the Secondary Undulations of Tides) along the Coast of Japan. Records of Oceanographic Works in Japan, (6), pp. 169-214.
- Morozov, E.G., 1995. Semidiurnal Internal Wave Global Field. Deep Sea Research Part I: Oceanographic Research Papers, 42(1), pp. 135-148. doi:10.1016/0967-0637(95)92886-C
- Müller, P. and Briscoe, M., 1999. Diapycnal Mixing and Internal Waves. In: University of Hawaii, 1999. Proceedings Hawaiian Winter Workshop, University of Hawaii at Manoa, Jan 18-22, 1999. Hawaii: University of Hawaii, pp. 289-295.
- Müller, P. and Briscoe, M., 2000. Diapycnal Mixing and Internal Waves. Oceanography, 13(2), pp. 98-103. doi:10.5670/oceanog.2000.40
- Giese, G.S., Hollander, R.B., Fancher, J.E. and Giese, B.S., 1982. Evidence of Coastal Seiche Excitation by Tide-Generated Internal Solitary Waves. Geophysical Research Letters, 9(12), pp. 1305-1308. doi:10.1029/GL009i012p01305
- Chapman, D.C. and Giese, G.S., 1990. A Model for the Generation of Coastal Seiches by Deep-Sea Internal Waves. Journal of Physical Oceanography, 20(9), pp. 1459-1467. doi:10.1175/1520-0485(1990)020%3C1459:AMFTGO%3E2.0.CO;2
- Squire, V.A., Kovalev, P.D. and Kovalev, D.P., 2021. Soliton-like Waves in the Vicinity of the Southern Kuril Islands. Physical Oceanography, 28(1), pp. 3-19. doi:10.22449/0233- 7584-2021-1-3-19
- Giese, G.S., 1983. The relationship between coastal seiches in Puerto Rico and tide generated internal solitary waves. In: E. H. Williams, ed., 1983. Proceedings of the Association of Island Marine Laboratories of the Caribbean, 17th meeting, Miami, USA, 16–20 May 1983. Miami, USA: University of Miami. Vol. 17, pp. 17. Available at: http://www.amlc-carib.org/meetings/procs/1983AMLC_Proceedings.pdf [Accessed: 27 July 2023].
- Kovalev, P.D. and Kovalev, D.P., 2019. The Dependence of the Wave Mode from External Periodic Excitation in the Harbor of Port Kholmsk. IOP Conference Series: Earth and Environmental Science, 324, 012016. doi:10.1088/1755-1315/324/1/012016
- Moon, F.C., 1987. Chaotic Vibrations: An Introduction for Applied Scientists and Engineers. Chichester: John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., 309 p.
- Kovacic, I. and Brennan, M.J., eds., 2011. The Duffing Equation: Nonlinear Oscillators and their Behaviour. Chichester, West Sussex, U.K.: Wiley, 392 p. doi:10.1002/9780470977859